Waiting is the hard part


On August 26, 2007, my brother-in-law, Eric Fontaine ran in the inaugural Ironman Louisville. It is an event that is a bit bittersweet right now, as we also had a problem with Miranda, my youngest daughter.
 
The first evidence of a problem was Thursday night. We were planning on going out for dinner and were talking to the concierge for ideas. The girls were standing next to the downstairs fountain in the Galt Hotel and Miranda wanted me to pick her up. When I did she said "it hurts daddy". I then tried to put her up on my shoulders and she started crying.
 
When we got her down we noticed a lump on her back. My wife took her to the emergency room with my father-in-law. They did an X-Ray to see if anything was broken. At this point in time, we thought she might have injured herself in the room and were not thinking about anything other than some form of trauma. The Emerency room doctors suggested we see the pediatrician when we got back.
 
We had planned to go to Mammoth Cave on Monday, but when she complained about back pain on Sunday night, we scheduled to see her pediatrician Monday afternoon. The pediatrician scheduled an X-Ray for Thursday morning and we had a CT scan added to the mix that afternoon. As she had eaten, they could not sedate her and add the contrast dye.
 
On Friday morning, my wife called before feeding her and the doctor stated they were consulting (osteo, pulimary and oncology specialist). He also recommended she not feed her, as he was likely to schedule a CT scan, which would require sedation. They also wanted to do a shallow tissue biopsy.
 
By 2:15 PM, they had cancelled the CT and rescheduled for Tuesday. Looking at the mass, they wanted to do a deep tissue biopsy from the center of the mass. The waiting continues.
 
In the middle of the night, her fever spiked to 104.2 and she was vomiting. We called the nurse on call who suggested we use warm cloths to bring down the fever. If that did not work, give her a lukewarm bath, but get the bathroom warm before hand. Fortunately, between analgesics and the hand towel, the fever went down.
 
We took her back to the doctor at 10:20 AM and her white blood cell ratio was out of whack. The doctor called the hospital to have them set up admittance. They are going to put her on a heavy dose of fluids and anti-biotics. My wife went down with her mother and I have the other three girls.
 
At this point, here is all I know about the situation:
 
1. The mass is about 4.6 cm underneath the ribs with a smaller portion on the outside, underneath the muscle.
2. The mass is liquid or semi-liquid
3. She currently has an infection serious enough to warrant admittance to the hospital
4. They need to ge the infection cured before they can do a CT scan or biopsy, as they will have to sedate
 
The doctors have not given us much information, but there are some positive signs. The liquid nature of the mass is positive. The fact it does not appear to be in the lungs is positive. The fact it does not extend or start from the liver is positive.
 
I pray it is either an infection or a lipoma, as they would be the easiest to "cure". I would like say I am prepared for worse news, but I am not sure you ever can be.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: